Health Benefits from Fruits, Vegetables, and Other Superfoods
Prevention is a more effective strategy than is the treatment of chronic diseases. Superfoods that contain significant amounts of bioactive components may provide more desirable health benefits beyond basic nutrition, and play important roles in the prevention of chronic diseases. The vast health benefits from having a diet rich in fruits and vegetables is attributed to the combination of these phytochemicals found in superfoods is paramount to chronic disease prevention, and is made possible through the additive and synergistic effects of combining these fruits and vegetables for their potent antioxidant and anticancer activities.
Chronic Kidney Disease Fact Sheets
Chronic Kidney Disease Initiative
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
National Chronic Kidney Disease Fact Sheet:
General Information and National Estimates on
Chronic Kidney Disease in the United States,
2010. Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health
and Human Services, CDC; 2010.
Hoyert DL, Xu JQ. Deaths: Preliminary Data for 2011. National Vital Statistics Reports; vol 61 no 6. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics. 2012.
U S Renal Data System, USRDS 2012 Annual Data Report: Atlas of Chronic Kidney Disease and End-Stage Renal Disease in the United States, National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, MD, 2012.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National diabetes fact sheet: national estimates and general information on diabetes and prediabetes in the United States, 2011. Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2011.
Schoolwerth AC, et al. Chronic kidney disease: a public health problem that needs a public health action plan. Prev Chronic Dis [serial online] 2006 Apr. ↩
- 1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Chronic Kidney Disease
Surveillance System. Atlanta. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control
and Prevention, US Dept of Health and Human Services; 2011.
http://www.cdc.gov/ckd. Accessed August 5, 2013.
2. Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes CKD Work Group. KDIGO 2012 clinical practice guideline for the evaluation and management of chronic kidney disease. Kidney Inter. 2013;3(1)(suppl):1-150.
3. Meisinger C, Döring A, Löwel H, KORA Study Group. Chronic kidney disease and risk of incident myocardial infarction and all-cause and cardiovascular disease mortality in middle-aged men and women from the general population. Eur Heart J. 2006;27(10):1245-1250.
4. US Renal Data System. USRDS 2013 Annual Data Report: Atlas of Chronic Kidney Disease and End-Stage Renal Disease in the United States. Bethesda, MD: National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases; 2013.
5. US Renal Data System. USRDS Renal Data Extraction and Referencing (RenDER) System. http://www.usrds.org/render/xrender_home.asp. Accessed October 28, 2013.
6. Astor BC, Hallan SI, Miller ER 3rd, Yeung E, Coresh J. Glomerular filtration rate, albuminuria, and risk of cardiovascular and all-cause mortality in the U.S. population. Am J Epidemiol. 2008;167(10):1226-1234.
7. Hemmelgarn BR, James MT, Manns BJ, et al. Rates of treated and untreated kidney failure in older vs younger adults. JAMA. 2012;307(23):2507-2715.
8. Go AS, Chertow GM, Fan D, McCulloch CE, Hsu CY. Chronic kidney disease and the risks of death, cardiovascular events, and hospitalization. N Engl J Med. 2004;351(13):1296-1305.
9. Perlman RL, Finkelstein FO, Liu L, et al. Quality of life in chronic kidney disease (CKD): a cross-sectional analysis in the Renal Research Institute- CKD study. Am J Kidney Dis. 2005;45(4):658-666.
10. Kinchen KS, Sadler J, Fink N, et al. The timing of specialist evaluation in chronic kidney disease and mortality. Ann Intern Med. 2002;17;137(6):479-486.
11. Vassalotti JA, Li S, Chen SC, Collins AJ. Screening populations at increased risk of CKD. The Kidney Early Evaluation Program (KEEP) and the public health problem. Am J Kidney Dis. 2009;53(3suppl3):S107-S114.
12. Clinical practice guideline for diagnosis and treatment of CKD. Clin Exp Nephrol. 2009;13(3):187-256.
13. Burrows NR, Li Y, Williams DE. Racial and ethnic differences in trends of end-stage renal disease: United States, 1995 to 2005. Adv Chronic Kidney Dis. 2008;15(2):147-152.
14. Kinchen KS, Sadler J, Fink N, et al. The timing of specialist evaluation in chronic kidney disease and mortality. Ann Intern Med. 2002;137(6): 479-486.
15. Plantinga LC, Boulware LE, Coresh J, et al. Patient awareness of chronic kidney disease: trends and predictors. Arch Intern Med. 2008;168(20):2268-2275.
16. Snyder JJ, Collins AJ. Association of preventive health care with atherosclerotic heart disease and mortality in CKD. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009;20(7):1614-622. ↩